Monday, June 21, 2010

Nerd’s Worst Enemy

Everyone has their enemies. Spiderman has the Green Goblin, Wolverine has the Sabertooth, Batman had the Joker and nerds…nerds fear spiders. There’s just something about an eight-legged, six-eyed, fanged and skittering creature that gets to the majority of nerds. Yet I’m torn between two instincts around spiders. One side of my brain says, “Wow, get your camera!” and the other goes, “Yeah, that’ll smash it real good!” As creepy as they are, I can’t help but be fascinated by them. But I will never touch one.

Out here in the country we live side by side with all kinds of arachnids.

From the large and dangerous:
Photobucket
Location: Side porch

To the small and inconspicuous:
Photobucket
Location: Bathroom

From the weird you’ll only find in the sticks:
Photobucket
Location: Front door

To the intrusive:
Photobucket
Location: In my FRIGGIN' shoe!

I’m afraid that the black widow is no longer with us. They’re too aggressive and I’ve learned that if you let them alone, they only breed. In our last barn I didn’t kill any and I ended up having to eliminate almost two dozen, in the dark, by flashlight and armed with a 5 lb. sledge hammer.
*skitter skitter*
*SLAM SLAM SLAM!*
It was very efficient.

The moral of this post? Don’t live in the country unless you have a sledge hammer.

No comments:

Post a Comment