Sunday, November 28, 2010

The Unexpected Guest

This Thanksgiving started out as any other year; sleeping in, prepping the house, getting the turkey started, spotting a huge five-point buck out of the kitchen window...wait, that last part doesn't happen every year.  Holy cow, there's a huge five-point buck out of the kitchen window!

I grabbed my camera and bounded for the door.  It was just above freezing outside, but there simply wasn't enough time for shoes!  I crept around our deck to the back and positioned myself for the shot...*click*























That was the best I could get until later that day.  His hind leg was wounded and bloody, which explained why he never bounded or jumped the fence.  A possible bullet wound?  Regardless, he looked lethargic and was walking slow.  I continued to click away, but the deer was moving further.  What's that tingling sensation?  Oh, my blue feet.  Time to get back inside.

Later that day I checked to see if the buck was still around.  Yup, there he was, laying down right next to my fence!  I snatched my camera (and shoes) and ran to our pasture.  Now it was time to see how close I could get to the beast.  I slowly made my way down the hill and sneaked up to the fence.  I was no further than four feet away when he noticed me.  Neither of us moved.  Slowly, he turned his gaze away, and I focused my camera.

























This buck was sick alright.  He wasn't afraid of me, and the barking dog didn't even phase him.  He might not make it through the night.  Cougars are not unknown in this area.

However, the sun rose the next day onto a standing, walking buck who looked to be moving better than the previous day.  Perhaps our Thanksgiving guest would heal after all.

1 comment: